Monday, July 11, 2011

Growing up as a grown up

I guess today, I will officially become "independent".  Women who have been working and traveling full time for years, might not understand this. but for those of us lowly house wives, traveling by ourselves: airplane, hotel, meals, EVERYTHING, it is!
For instance, my husband suggested that I might want to get room service tonight.  WHY? If a man can go into a bar/restaurant and sit at a bar or table and order a drink or meal and feel comfortable, why can't a woman? I'll definitely be wearing my wedding ring (which definitely shows :) ).  When I made my dinner reservation for one, I was specific--I will be in a hotel that is great for people watching. When the Hostess asked if I preferred inside or out I said I didn't care, as long as I could do a lot of people watching. (honestly is very often the best policy).
It's not that I haven't flown alone before--I have, many times! In fact--I conquered flying to Europe alone just this past year! NOW, I'll conquer flying, plus 2 hotel nights alone.  I think every woman, if given the chance, should do this; to see what it is like to be free spirited in the world, only thinking about yourself.
I'll keep you posted!
 Ta Ta for now!
I have to pack.
For one!

2 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you feel so empowered and free. However, I take issue with the phrase "lowly housewives". Although I do not have a career outside of the house and I am not able to contribute financially to our expenses, I do not feel that my contribution as a "housewife" is any less substantial than a parent who is working.

    Enjoy you trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point agreed with and well taken. On the plane today the man I sat next to, who was perhaps my age or one or 2 years my junior, looked at me strangely and unknowingly when I responded to the pleasantries of "what do you do" with "I'm a chauffer, a cook, a coach, a psychologist, a friend, a tutor"....!I thought the answer was appropriate!

    ReplyDelete