Saturday, August 20, 2011

Family time is imorant, no matter how old

I have always been a big proponent of making time at the end of the summer  for my husband and my two kids and I to spend a few days alone together before the hustle and bustle of school began. Evan when my daughte waas skating competitvely and this was frowned upon as she had just been away at camp, I always reasoned that a long weekend wouldn't make or break her.
We had years of  playing on the beach, the 4 of us, building sand castles, or wathiching my son and my husband killing thimselves learning how to skimboard (OOOOO YOU Need TO WAX THE BOTTOM????), we had a year when it raind and the 4 of us sat of the floor of a rented beach front room playing rummycube and eating pretzels.
4-5 days, or 2-3. It really doesn't matter.  this alone time, most of it, were meals and days WITHOUT cell phones we decided, were enough to remind us of the fact that we are a family first, and then whatever to whomever.  We have always had a speciaal bond. My kids (no longer children) have always had a good relationship. This time away alone, just reminds them of who they are, without all the distractions of the outside world.  Even if someone can't afford to "go away", which we reallly couldn't for a long time, a weekend at any hotel nearby with an on site swimming pool and restaurant would do for a night or two.  Before schhool, and teams, and friends, and pressure. It's a good time to remind your high school kids of the fact that you LOVE THEM and THEY CAN CALL YOU NO MATTER WHAT.  Your college kids can be reminded of this too!
Your kids are only single and YOURS for a very short time. TAKE ADVANTAGE. you will remember this and so will they.

No comments:

Post a Comment